[BRLTTY] 6.5 within a couple of weeks.

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Mon May 2 11:36:36 EDT 2022

[quoted lines by Christian Schoepplein on 2022/05/02 at 10:30 +0200]

>I'd like again report the problem that not the whole line is spoken when
>lines start with the same characters.

Yes, thanks, reminders are always good.

I haven't thought of a good solution, yet. I'll explain your two cases. Perhaps others will suggest possible approaches.

>For example the following lines are not spoken fully in some situations:
>
>ssh
>ssd
>ssl
>
>In some situations only h, d and l are spoken.

Yes. The case is when the same physical line on the screen is used. Since brltty doesn't know what you've actually done - it just passively raeds the screen - it sees that as an updated line rather than a switch to a different line.

>Unfortunatly this behaviour is not allways reproducable but I think it
>ocures when the screen is wrapped e.g. in an editor because the lines are
>located at the bottom.

Within an editor, this will typically happen either when you're at the bottom of the screen and move down or at the top of the screen and move up. In these cases, you've technically moved to a new line but what actually happens on the screen is that you stay on the same physical line while the screen has been scrolled. You can probably work around this one by telling the editor to scroll by at least two lines at a time.

>I can reproduce it in bash, but I don't know if this is a wanted behaviour
>or a bug:

My opinion is that it's a bit of both. :-)

>1. Write ssl and press enter.
>2. Write ssd and press arrow up.
>
>In that case only l is spoken and not ssl...

Ths is a different case. When you arrow up in bash, what's really happening is that the prompt line is being rewritten from history. So, in this case, it really is an update of the current line.

When you type, for example, you only want to hear each new chracter as you type it - you don't want the whole line to be continually respoken. That's why brltty only speaks changes to the same line.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |