[BRLTTY] Somewhat New Linux User with a Few Questions

Lanie Carmelo laniegcarmelo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 10:18:54 EDT 2024

Hi all. I've been trying to get Brltty working better on my computer, a
laptop running Arch Linux, and I have a few questions that I'm hoping
someone can help with. First, I'm using Brltty to get Braille in the TTY
but another screen reader, Fenrir, for speech. I'm concerned with
Braille-related issues here, though, so that shouldn't matter.

There are times when I've started my computer, and gone to a TTY when
"BRLTTY 6.6" repeatedly flashes on my Braille display, a HumanWare
Brailliant BI 40X. Once when it did this, I think I also caught the
words "braille driver restarting" flashing right afterward, although it
was so brief that I could be wrong. How can I fix this? My Braille
display is connected via USB and I believe I have brltty.conf set up
correctly.

Second, is it possible to type with Brltty using contracted Braille? I
have my Braille table set to contracted, but I still need to use
computer Braille to type.

Finally, I want to set it up so I can use my Braille display during my
XSession. I use Orca as my screen reader then. Right now as I type this,
my Brailliant is flashing "BRLTTY 6.6" and in between that I see "screen
not in text mode". Braille is enabled in Orca preferences. I read the
man page for xbrlapi but still didn't understand how to set it up. Can
anyone help with this?

I apologize for the long email. Thanks for your help.