[BRLTTY] en-us-g2.ctb and single quotes.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Dec 16 13:09:46 EST 2006

Currently, en-us-g2.ctb (the contraction table for grade 2 braille) tries to
determine when an apostrophe is really an opening or closing single quote. It
often gets this wrong when legitimate words either begin with an apostrophe
('tis, 'twas, 'twill) or end with one (possessive plurals).

Should we remove all attempts to figure out when an apostrophe is a single
quote, thereby making all opening and closing single quotes appear as though
they were apostrophes?

Shall we leave it like it is, with the wrong decision being made on occasion?

Can anyone think of a really good set of huristics so that we can get it right?

Any other suggestions?