[BRLTTY] Re: Write of brltty.pid on read-konly file systems at boot

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Dec 19 07:55:25 EST 2006

[quoted lines by Yannick PLASSIARD on 2006/12/19 at 13:21 +0100]

>Dave, You talked about an asynchronous event to write the PID
>file, how does this can work ?

It's already implemented in the latest revision. It tries to create the PID
file every five seconds until it works.

When brltty waits each time around its loop it does so with poll() so that it
can monitor queues of pending input, output, and alarm events.

We could make it so brltty won't start if you specify a PID file and that file
already exists. The drawback, of course, is that a system crash may leave it
lying around. /var/run/, of coruse, is cleaned up on boot unless brltty is
started too early for that. We could get around this by having the boot start
of brltty specify a force option.