[BRLTTY] Re: Write of brltty.pid on read-konly file systems at boot

Yannick PLASSIARD yan at mistigri.org
Tue Dec 19 08:08:58 EST 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 07:55:25AM -0500, Dave Mielke wrote:
> [quoted lines by Yannick PLASSIARD on 2006/12/19 at 13:21 +0100]
>
> >Dave, You talked about an asynchronous event to write the PID
> >file, how does this can work ?
>
> It's already implemented in the latest revision. It tries to create the PID
> file every five seconds until it works.
Great! :)

> When brltty waits each time around its loop it does so with poll() so that it
> can monitor queues of pending input, output, and alarm events.
>
> We could make it so brltty won't start if you specify a PID file and that file
> already exists. The drawback, of course, is that a system crash may leave it
> lying around. /var/run/, of coruse, is cleaned up on boot unless brltty is
> started too early for that. We could get around this by having the boot start
> of brltty specify a force option.
	Or even more, reading the existing PID file and just see if a
such PID exists in the system. If not, then it comes from a previous
crash. If yes, it would mean another BrlTty is running.
But I think that we should not be very careful about this, since I think
it's better to have two brltty running and a poor braille printing, that
no brltty and no braille at all...