[BRLTTY] Choosing a suitable braille display

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Mon Feb 18 07:36:02 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 01:41 -0500, Dave Mielke wrote:
> [quoted lines by Michael Whapples on 2008/02/17 at 22:24 +0000]
>
> >The only thing being that the syncbraille is not currently in the list of
> >displays supported by brltty (brltty 3.9). ~Any plans for it to be supported?
>
> Yes. I already have the specifications for its protocdol (as well as for that
> of the Braille Sense). If anyone who has one of these would like to volunteer
> to do some testing for me, I'll raise the priority of this item.
As I don't actually have a unit to test it with, I am sorry I can't help
here. Also as I would be getting the unit for work, I would need it to
work reliably, so may not really want to get one until I am certain it
works well. See further comments as other thoughts may affect this.

> >Also for use with a computer (programming will be done as part of the job) is
> >the limited size (20 or 32 in the case of the syncbraille) a problem/limiting?
> >Will I need to consider having the braille display for the notetaker separate
> >from the braille display used for the computer?
>
> This is a question which only you can answer for yourself. Either the smaller
> size of a notetaker display is or is not a problem for you when doing
> programming. If it is then you'll need two displays. If it isn't then you
> won't. It's one of those personal taste issues.
This is the slight problem for me, I have only used an ALVA 544t and
know that works fine for me in general, but obviously without having a
good go with a smaller display don't really know how the size might
affect me. Other than trying to get my hands on one to loan, is there
any other way I could simulate having a smaller display? eg. configure
brltty to use only 32 of my alva's 44 cells. I know a lot is going to
come down to personal preference, I just want to get a few ideas of what
normally people find better or worse about various ones as trials will
be limited in their time.

I said to read on regarding the syncbraille, if I were to choose to have
two different displays, then I could test the syncbraille for you as I
know that should things not work well I could revert to the other
display for serious work.