[BRLTTY] Brltty problem with Orca/Ubuntu on vmwae fusion

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Mon Sep 8 12:01:06 EDT 2008

I have no problems with brltty in Orca on my debian insallation. However,
on my Ubuntu installation with vmware fusion on the Mac, using the
braillelite 40 and a usb-serial connection, I am having some problems. I
have brltty starting up fine, though of course it gives me "screen not in
text" until I log in and Orca starts. When I am tabbing and alt-tabbing
brltty appears to be working pretty normally. However, when I go into
gnome-terminal or type in a text box, or sometimes when I arrow or tab, I
get extra characters and percent signs, can not read much with the
advanced bars in terminal (the advance bars move but I get percent signs
and other characters or blank lines), and running the configuration menu,
as root, either gives me characters but no coice to start the menu or
starts the menu but seems erratic. For instance, I may have to press the
spacebar several times to go from "yes to 'no" and pressing chord-dot 4
once usually does nothing but pressing it twice skips at least one menu
item. I also don't seem to get grade Two braille though I have this set in
/etc/brltty.conf. Am I missing something about settings or what could the
problem be? I am using ubuntu 8.04.1 LTs Desktop Edition.

Tia.

--
Cheryl