[BRLTTY] a simple question

Raoul rmgls at free.fr
Tue Aug 11 15:11:58 EDT 2009

> On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:47:46 -0400 Dave Mielke wrote:
>
> >as a consequence of my preview messages,
> >(libiconv undefined and some LANG and CHARSET variables set),
> >i would like to know if there is any test to handle this situation?
> >something like:
> >
> >if libiconv is undeclared, i don't start at all
> >(rather diplaying garbage),
> >and i display: LANG is set but libiconv is undefined?
> >
> >is this make sense or i am misreading something?
>
> The normal operation of BRLTTY doesn't rely at all on libiconv, so you don't
> need to worry about that.

Hi Dave,

Please, can you explain this:

charset.c:

#if defined(HAVE_ICONV_H)
#include <iconv.h>

#define CHARSET_ICONV_NULL ((iconv_t)-1)
#define CHARSET_ICONV_HANDLE(name) iconv_t iconv##name = CHARSET_ICONV_NULL

static CHARSET_ICONV_HANDLE(CharToWchar);
static CHARSET_ICONV_HANDLE(WcharToChar);

> Am I correct that you're not using Linux? You may have said FreeBSD at one
> point. Is that what you're using? If so, are you using screen plus our patch
> for screen?

Sorry, it was in the subject of the preview message only.
yes i run FreeBSD Current with screen patched.

i confirm this point, without libiconv defined, brltty displays garbage
when setting the LANG and CHARSET variables other than "C"
but it start fine with the default lang and charset of the system.
this was my problem and was near of me, and i searched too far!

So, perhaps my question still is valid?

Thanks for your reply.

Raoul Mégélas <rmgls at free.fr>