[BRLTTY] refreshabraille impressions

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Aug 25 15:35:13 EDT 2009

[quoted lines by Zachary Kline on 2009/08/25 at 10:40 -0700]

>I hope your leg is doing better.  Burns aren't ever pleasant.

The burn itself is finally (after perhaps four weeks or so) healing reasonably
well. The larger problem is the swelling where the infection was centered. It
doesn't seem to be going away so it gets rather painful if I'm up for too long.

>I assume you haven't yet found the time to work a bit more on improving
>APH refreshabraille navigation?

Yes, you're correct. What I want to do first is convert the Baum driver to use
key tables. That's the next driver on my list to convert.

>I finally got mine yesterday and have
>been experimenting.  I'll admit I'm confused as to how to adapt the
>Baum keyboard commands to the Refreshabraille's layout.  Apparently it
>can produce D1 through D6 easily enough.  I'm still puzzled: what are
>tr1, tl1, etc.?  They seem predominant in the documentation.
>ANy enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

TL means top left, and TR means top right. So TL1-3 are dots 1-3, and TR1-3 are
dots 4-6. They're called top because they're on the top of most Baum models.

If you press (and hold) the joystick before pressing a dot key combination
you'll get the original Baum top key combinations. Note that you must press the
joystick first. If you press and hold the combination and then tap the joystick
you'll get something else.

There are also some other bindings which aren't yet documented but which I'll
quickly list here:

Dot4+Up: go to top-left of screen
Dot4+Down: go to bottom-left of screen
Dot4+Left: go to beginning of line
Dot4+Right: go to end of line

Dot5+Up: go up one line
Dot5+Down: go down one line
Dot5+Left: pan left
Dot5+Right: pan right

Dot6+Up: go up a few lines
Dot6+Down: go down a few lines
Dot6+Left: go left one character
Dot6+Right: go right one character

That's it for now. I view the above as temporary and experimental. Since you're
a full-time user of the device, I welcome your recommendations regarding what a
good set of key bindings would be.