[BRLTTY] brltty 4.1: doesn't work

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Nov 10 09:27:29 EST 2009

[quoted lines by Aldo on 2009/11/10 at 13:57 +0100]

>./configure --enable-standalone-programs --disable-contracted-braille --with-braille-driver=al --with-braille-device=usb: --with-text-table=de --with-speech-driver=al

Your problem is simple. I understand that you're making a static binary in
order to avoid interfering with the brltty already installed on your system.
That's fine, but you missed one option. You didn't build in the screen driver.
You can build it in by specifying: --with-screen-driver=lx

There's actually a better way to run brltty from its build tree. In the
top-level directory of the build tree you'll find a script called run-brltty.
This script invokes brltty from within the build tree, and passes in options
which cause it to pick up the drivers, the tables, etc from the build tree. So,
therefore, the easiest way is to configure with no options, do the make (but
not the make install), and then run:

   ./run-brltty -bal -dusb:

>I've been able to run the ./configure but after the make it warned me about
>something regarding statically linked applications whichfore you need a
>shared glibc library or so (I don't unerstand that : wat is he needing from
>me?)

I don't think that's a problem you need to be concerned with, but it'd be nice
if you could please include the messages for us to have a look at.

>So I puted it on my laptop and gave it a try:
>asteroid:~# ./brltty
>BRLTTY 4.1 [http://mielke.cc/brltty/]
>
>But after he showed the brltty version a few seconds he immediately shows
>the message: No screen
>while my /dev/cs* already exist on my Debian Lenny

Yes, that's because it has no screen driver. :-)

>Precision: I just had killed the prev. brltty for my satellite before
>running this static bin for my Optelec; see here:

If you get clever you don't need to do that. Instead of just specifying -dusb:,
specify the serial numbers as well. For example: -dusb:12345

>brltty: cannot open file: /etc/brltty/de.ttb: Bestand of map bestaat niet
>brltty: cannot load text table: de
>brltty: Text Table: de

This is okay because you built in the text table anyway.

>brltty: checking for screen driver: lx
>brltty: screen driver not loadable: lx
>brltty: screen driver not found

This is your real problem. You can solve it by specifying;

   --with-screen-driver=lx

>brltty: checking braille device: USB:
>brltty: checking for braille driver: al
>brltty: initializing braille driver: al -> USB:
>brltty: USB: testing: vendor=0798 product=0640
>brltty: USB configuration set error 16: Apparaat of hulpbron is bezig.
>brltty: USB: no serial operations: vendor=0798 product=0640
>brltty: USB: ept=81 dir=in xfr=int pkt=64 ivl=10ms
>brltty: USB Language: 409
>brltty: USB: Manufacturer Name: Optelec
>brltty: USB: Product Description: ALVA BC640
>brltty: USB: Serial Number: 00A0962CDB29
>brltty: detected Alva BC640: 40 columns, 0 status cells
>brltty: Braille Display Dimensions: 1 row, 40 columns
>brltty: regions: text=0.40 status=0.0
>brltty: shifts: full=40 half=20 vertical=5

Your Alva itself is being detected just fine.