[BRLTTY] OOOPS! something really wrong with the driver or my Optelec

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Nov 12 17:19:18 EST 2009

[quoted lines by Aldo on 2009/11/12 at 18:51 +0100]

>I may do something wrong with pressing keys without knowing what they are
>used for,

That shouldn't be a problem. No brltty function should cause brltty to hang.

>but a few minutes ago it had hanged again, showing lots of
>*********************** on screen, and something moving rapidly.

If you're getting junk, and especially if you're getting junk that changes
rapidly, it may be a sign that one of brltty's functions is allowing you to
move the display off the screen. It'd be extremely helpful if you could figure
out which function is doing this.

One of my granddaughters (who's only just turned two) actually did find one of
those a month or two ago. Whenever she'd play with my braille display it ended
up in a very similar state. It turned out that she was always pressing the same
key combination when that happened. Once I figured out what she was doing, I
was able to quite quickly find the problem in the code. For the curious, it was
when the HWINUP function was used when too close to the top of the screen.

The BC640 has no binding for HWINUP, though, so I doubt that's your particular
problem. Also, I did include that fix in 4.1.

>After unplugging then replugging and resetting On, it didn't produced braille
>again, so I only rebooted. For now it works again.

Well ... it may be hard to find, but I'd sure appreciate it if you can.

>I hope I didn't caused the hang myself yesterday ?

If it happened then it's a bug which shall be fixed once we figure out what it
is. At this point I'm suspecting it's a general problem and not specific to the
BC640.

>For now I tested it, removing cable and setting Off, recabling then setting
>On, and it works now: the name Alva BC640 does appear, then USB connected, then
>the "blip" of brltty and the message BrlTty 4.1.
>
>But no  asteroid:~#  prompt as long as I don't press <ENTER>...

That's because brltty starts running in the background so logs start to be
written after the prompt.

>> For Bluetooth, the data part of the device name is the Bluetooth Device
>>Address
>
>OK, but I don't know how I have to find it somewhere...

The BC640's menu tells you what its Bluetooth device address is.

>I attached the lsusb -v output for you:
>I found something like a serial for my BC640; can you confirm it's the right
>one? 	00A0962CDB29

  iManufacturer           1 Optelec
  iProduct                2 ALVA BC640
  iSerial                 6 00A0962CDB29

So, yes, you have it right.

>If it works with the -d usb:mmmmm parameter on the fly, I suppose it will
>in brltty.conf too?

Yes. If you put it in brltty.conf, though, then the brltty you may want to run
for the Satellite will also pick it up.

>For having that same dispaly in usb + bt, can you give me a template of
>device line for the brltty.conf ?

You can specify more than one device by providing a list separated by commas.
Let's say the serial number is 1234 and the Bluetooth device address is
01:23:45:67:89:AB. Then you can specify both of them like this:

   braille-device usb:1234,bluetooth:01:23:45:67:89:AB

>That's why I try to ask then do step by step, maybe that will help.

All of your help is very much appreciated. I, too, am a very methodical person
when it comes to trying to figure out a problem. It's an excellent approach.

>Ah OK. I see; it's like this:
>		  ;
>	f1  f2  enter  f3  f4
> 		  ;