[BRLTTY] latest feedback Was: Re: OOOPS! something really wrong with the driver or my Optelec

Aldo labrad0r at edpnet.be
Wed Nov 18 08:29:38 EST 2009

Hi Dave and all,

appology my very long silence.

I had to bring  my Optelec back so unfortunately I shouldn't be able to
answer to all of your questions, but I'll try:

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 05:19:18PM -0500, Dave Mielke wrote:
> [quoted lines by Aldo on 2009/11/12 at 18:51 +0100]
>
> >I may do something wrong with pressing keys without knowing what they are
> >used for,
>
> That shouldn't be a problem. No brltty function should cause brltty to hang.

Than there's something wrong with the cable or so from the Optelec they gave
me.

> >but a few minutes ago it had hanged again, showing lots of
> >*********************** on screen, and something moving rapidly.
>
> If you're getting junk, and especially if you're getting junk that changes
> rapidly, it may be a sign that one of brltty's functions is allowing you to
> move the display off the screen. It'd be extremely helpful if you could figure
> out which function is doing this.

As long as I remember I've got the "hang" after using the two keys at the
ext. left and ext. right of the display near the 40 cells :
	;					 ;
	;........................................;

I was using the left key to go back until the top of the screen or zo then I
suddenly got the problem;
but I'm not sure it is explicitly at that moment,
I've got the problem of losing connection (err 110) many times, so err 110 +
the junk ...? Anyway my Sattelite 544 does work much better :-)

> One of my granddaughters (who's only just turned two) actually did find
>one of
> those a month or two ago. Whenever she'd play with my braille display it
>ended
> up in a very similar state. It turned out that she was always pressing the
>same
> key combination when that happened. Once I figured out what she was doing,
> was able to quite quickly find the problem in the code. For the curious,
>it was
> when the HWINUP function was used when too close to the top of the screen.

As a trial maybe you can disgard these two keys and test if the problem
happens again when using the front keys only ?

> The BC640 has no binding for HWINUP, though, so I doubt that's your
>particular
> problem. Also, I did include that fix in 4.1.

My bin was a static 4.1.

> >After unplugging then replugging and resetting On, it didn't produced braille
> >again, so I only rebooted. For now it works again.
>
> Well ... it may be hard to find, but I'd sure appreciate it if you can.

What I discovered is that if you wait enough after a while I've got again
brltty beeping and it was okay, again braille, without having to reboot nor
to disconnect/reconnect the USB cable. Strange!

> >I hope I didn't caused the hang myself yesterday ?
>
> If it happened then it's a bug which shall be fixed once we figure out
>what it
> is. At this point I'm suspecting it's a general problem and not specific
>to the
> BC640.
>
> >For now I tested it, removing cable and setting Off, recabling then setting
> >On, and it works now: the name Alva BC640 does appear, then USB connected, then
> >the "blip" of brltty and the message BrlTty 4.1.
> >
> >But no  asteroid:~#  prompt as long as I don't press <ENTER>...
>
> That's because brltty starts running in the background so logs start to be
> written after the prompt.

Awful!

> >> For Bluetooth, the data part of the device name is the Bluetooth Device
> >>Address
> >
> >OK, but I don't know how I have to find it somewhere...
>
> The BC640's menu tells you what its Bluetooth device address is.

Unfortunately this wasn't tested since I was hill sunday and had to bring
the Optelec back at least monday morning.
So bluetooth is for later.

> >I attached the lsusb -v output for you:
> >I found something like a serial for my BC640; can you confirm it's the right
> >one? 	00A0962CDB29
>
>   iManufacturer           1 Optelec
>   iProduct                2 ALVA BC640
>   iSerial                 6 00A0962CDB29
>
> So, yes, you have it right.

> >If it works with the -d usb:mmmmm parameter on the fly, I suppose it will
> >in brltty.conf too?
>
> Yes. If you put it in brltty.conf, though, then the brltty you may want to run
> for the Satellite will also pick it up.

Very nice!

> >For having that same dispaly in usb + bt, can you give me a template of
> >device line for the brltty.conf ?
>
> You can specify more than one device by providing a list separated by commas.
> Let's say the serial number is 1234 and the Bluetooth device address is
> 01:23:45:67:89:AB. Then you can specify both of them like this:
>
>    braille-device usb:1234,bluetooth:01:23:45:67:89:AB
>
> >That's why I try to ask then do step by step, maybe that will help.
>
> All of your help is very much appreciated. I, too, am a very methodical person
> when it comes to trying to figure out a problem. It's an excellent approach.
>
> >Ah OK. I see; it's like this:
> >		  ;
> >	f1  f2  enter  f3  f4
> > 		  ;
>
> Yes, sort of. It's more like this:
>
>                Up
>    F1 F2 Left Enter Right F3 F4
>                Down

OK, thanx very much Dave for all your help,
sorry if I can't help further for now.

Aldo.