[BRLTTY] PLEASE ......................... explain ?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sun Dec 5 19:29:03 EST 2010

[quoted lines by Labrador on 2010/12/05 at 20:02 +0100]

>as I said before, I'm reorganizing my mailboxes,
>I just want to be removed under my current address and subscribed under
>another one;
>
>so I did (/tried to do) the changes online:
>on many many other lists it had worked immediately!
>On this list it didn't !
>Why ?
>
>Now I tried by sending a mail to the -request address:
>still doesn't work!
>Why ?

Probably because, as you yourself have already theorized in a previous post,
some mysterious setting isn't quite right.

>I don't want to send any message on the list,
>but I couldn't do nothing else than asking here On List since I don't
>received any answer from the supposed list-admin.

It's okay. That'd be me, and you can name me.

>I don't mind ! but I'm trying for about 3 days now and I'm becoming really
>tired!
>Would you be happy if you turned 16 lists into another (new) address and one
>(/this one) refuses to work for this quite simple change ?

Many things make me tired. When I do get too tired, I usually go and get
however much rest I need. That tends to refresh me enough to then continue to
face all of the as yet unresolved frustrations of life until adequate solutions
for htem are found. This, for most of us, can easily become a seemingly endless
cycle on any number of issues, so I'm certain that you have lots of company.

>Well I am asking to you due to no any explanation received from the
>listengine nor from the listadmin until now.

Okay ... so let's get to your real question. Even though you've already written
directly to me regarding this probem, and even though you've even posted this
issue to the list with my name in the subject so as to be sure to get my
attention, what you really want to know now is why I haven't resolved this
issue yet.

I have two answers. You may not like either or both of them. Please understand
that it's not my goal to upset anyone (in this case, you), but you are asking
me for direct answers so here they are.

Each and every issue which comes my way lands somewhere in the prioritized list
of everything I have to deal with. Less important issues get treated with lower
priorities. If they're low enough, I'm known to often just plain forget about
them. I often don't even look far enough back in my inbox to rediscover
messages I've intentionally left there so as not to forgget about them. This is
just part of the way I am, and, since I see no particular reason to fix this
part of myself, you'll just have to live with it.

In addition to working on brltty, I also, of course, need time to eat, sleep,
and perform other essential aspects of being a human being who's still alive.
Less facetiously, I'm married, and actually do love my wife a great deal. We've
been richly blessed with thirteen children (for the curious, that's seven
daughters and six sons), eight of whom are still e here, and ten grandchildren.
Then there's my full-time paying job. On top of all of these things, I also
need enough time to properly study the Bible so that when I dare to say things
like that the Day of Judgement will begin on May 21 of 2011 (yes, now less than
six months away), that they're the absolute truth and that I can solidly prove
them. So, as I hope you can see, my life has a lot more in it than nothing but
free time to jump every time someone orders me to.

Now I have a question for you:

A few days ago, a helpful user posted to the list that you could easily resolve
your problem by explicitly subscribing to the list using your new address and
then explicitly unsubscribing from the list using your old address. Why didn't
you do it that way? Wouldn't that have saved you a lot of time, effort, and
frustration? Is there something about that way of doing it which makes it an
inadequate work-around? Sure, it's not a perfect solution, but, in this case,
so what?

Which do you think would take less time and effort? For you to do one subscribe
and one unsubscribe, as described above, or for me to relearn all of Mailman's
zillion settings in order to figure out which tweak is the one we need to
resolve this problem? A third approach, of course, is that you could do all of
that Mailman research and then tell me which setting I need to tweak.