[BRLTTY] PLEASE ......................... explain ?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Dec 6 16:53:55 EST 2010

[quoted lines by labrad0r at edpnet.be on 2010/12/06 at 20:49 +0100]

>> My main concerns have to do with politeness, respect, kindness, etc.
>Well I do so, but it's becoming urgent because I am not always 24/7 here and
>after 3 / now 4 days I have the right to see this problem fixed asap,
>I also have lots of other useful things to do outside the internet, I hope
>this isn't misunderrstood!

We all have plenty of useful and/or important other things to do. It's all too
easy for any of us to think that our own problems are more important than those
of others, but that's really only because none of us has the full picture. For
example, from my own life: I've already outlined that there's a lot more to my
life than computers. I could've added even more stuff like the fact that one of
our children has cerebral palsy and that my wife has a very serious form of
cancer so I've been sitting with her for many hours in hospitals while they've
been torturing her with treatments which have, as their only saving grace, the
fact that they're less severe than the cancer itself.

I'm sure that most, if not all, of the other members of this list, perhaps
including you yourself, have many such issues in their lives which are way more
important than someone's mailing list subscription.

The point I'm trying to make is that it's not actually your right to have this
problem fixed. When any of us receives help from anyone else, may we all look
upon it as a privilege rather than as a right, because that's exactly what it
is. We should even have this attitude when we're receiving help from someone
whom we're paying for that help.

>I had sended an off-list mail with that address and explanations to you, at
>18:38:14 2010 (local time),
>sended from that new address.

Probably, but I'm too lazy to go looking for it. Why not just retype it here so
that it's right in front of me. That'd be less typing than the instructions of
where I need to go to find it.