[BRLTTY] Accents on X

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Wed Jul 21 12:50:19 EDT 2010

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL, le Wed 21 Jul 2010 18:12:21 +0200, a écrit :
> xbrlapi is currently only able to simulate characters which can be typed
> > directly on the PC keyboard (since it emulates a PC keyboard key event).
> > I guess those are not currently in your keyboard layout. Just adding
> > them using e.g. xmodmap should work.
> Hmm could you give me an example?

See xmodmap -pke, for instance:

keycode   9 = Escape NoSymbol Escape
keycode  10 = ampersand 1 ampersand 1 dead_caron dead_ogonek dead_caron dead_ogonek
keycode  11 = eacute 2 eacute 2 asciitilde Eacute asciitilde Eacute
keycode 245 = XF86Bluetooth NoSymbol XF86Bluetooth
keycode 246 = XF86WLAN NoSymbol XF86WLAN
keycode 247 =
keycode 248 =
keycode 249 =
keycode 250 =
keycode 251 =
keycode 252 =
keycode 253 =
keycode 254 =
keycode 255 =

so keycodes 247 to 255 are completely unused. I can thus use

echo "keycode 247 = ntilde Ntilde" | xmodmap -

to define ñ and Ñ on keycode 247, which is not a key I have on my
keyboard, but it doesn't matter: xbrlapi will be able to simulate it,
and the result will be that the application will get ñ or Ñ.

Samuel