[BRLTTY] FYI: HandyTech Modular Evolution 88 and Linux console size (88x42)

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Tue May 4 06:56:36 EDT 2010

Hi.

For those of you who are using a HandyTech Modular Evolution 88,
I recently managed to configure my Linux console to have 88 columns
(and 42 lines).  Since the display is continuous, you can then use
all the width of your display during your work on the console.

I used to use 85x32, but recently (mostly by accident) figured
out how to make use of the remaining 3 cells as well.

The trick is to set a framebuffer resolution and a certain font size
which results in the number of columns you desire.  In my case, I
used 800x600 as a starting-point with fbset, and then issued
"fbset -xres 704" which results in 704 pixel width which
divided by 8 (font width) results in 88 characters per line.
After loading a 14x8 console font, I have 88x42 text mode, which
works very nicely with this 88 cell display.

Unfortunately, to achieve this (as far as I know) you
have to load a framebuffer driver for your graphics card.  In my
case, it is nvidiafb.  This is, unfortunately, very graphics
card dependant, and its very likely that one card you
try does not support a certain mode you are aiming at.
I had to swap my original (Intel-based) graphics card
for this NVidia thing just for the resoltuion settings to work.
But once you have a working setup, it really pays off.  10% more text
size is noticeable.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'