[BRLTTY] Alva BC640 question

Lee Maschmeyer leemer1 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 1 14:13:14 EDT 2011

Using the reset key combination (thumb1+thumb4+poweron) I got my unit
working. Using brltty 5796 the Dvorak keyboard layout still destroys
the braille keyboard. When I did a loadkeys us it worked fine.

The only thing I noticed about the smartpad arrows was that they
seemed like they might be unreliable but I figured that was just
because I wasn't fluent with the device yet.

However, when I unplugged the device from the computer it once again
was hosed--turning it on yields a completely blank display (all dots
retracted) and plugging it back in again doesn't yield a connection
either; I had to reset it yet again to get braille back. At the moment
I'm very seriously considering returning the device as I can't accept
having to reinitialize it (and thus losing any books I've stored on
that whopping big three MB disk). We'll see...

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear
to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than
what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
     --Lewis Carroll