[BRLTTY] Screen, emacs and cursor routing

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Jan 9 10:44:11 EST 2012

[quoted lines by Lars Bjørndal on 2012/01/08 at 22:11 +0100]

>Most of the time, I ssh to a Linux server, either from Windows or from
>Linux. From there, I connects to a screen session with 'screen -xx'.
>BRLTTY's cursor routing doesn't work all the time within Emacs.
>Sometimes the cursor moves a few characters, and then stops. It seems to
>work more reliable if I first press the end key to go to the end of
>line, and then press a CR key. Going the other way, from left to a
>character further to the right, does break, at least many times. Do
>anyone have a solution for this problem?

This problem should be fixed in the development code. I'm not an emacs user,
but I'm guessing it has a status line which, among other things, shows the
current cursor position. As the cursor routing algorithm moves the cursor, the
cursor position field on the status line keeps changing. Because of the way
terminals work, this means that the cursor must temporarily jump to the status
line in order for the new cursor position to be written. If the timing is just
right, this unexpected placement of the cursor confused brltty's cursor routing
algorithm.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html