[BRLTTY] Getting Alva BC680 to work...

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Fri Mar 2 21:44:50 EST 2012

Tami Kinney <tamara.8024 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Since this is a loaner display, do you happen to know of a way to
> downgrade the firmware without making the change permanent?

If you have files containing both versions of the firmware then you could
1. Downgrade it to the old version.

2. test.

3. Upgrade it back to the new version before returning the display.

I don't know how reliable the firmware loading process is on these devices or
whether there is a recovery mechanism available if something goes wrong.

I would certainly ask the vendor before trying it and suggest to them that
they should ask Optelec to fix their firmware to ensure that new versions can
be supported by BRLTTY. If you decide not to purchase an Alva display because
you can't test it properly then letting the vendor or manufacturer know might
encourage them to raise the firmware problem higher in their list of
priorities.