[BRLTTY] Getting my braille driver for the FCHAD working.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Oct 18 14:52:06 EDT 2012

[quoted lines by timothyhobbs at seznam.cz on 2012/10/18 at 20:37 +0200]

>I have to figure out if the user is left handed or right handed.  This is not
>yet defined by the standard that I wrote.  There are several options:  brltty
>could provide this information, and this information could be global to
>brltty.  My driver could take a special parameter or save a special settings
>file to the users home directory.  This information could be stored on the
>device.  What do you recommend?

This is the first time that this issue has come up as braille devices tend to
be used by both hands. For my own curiosity, what would such an option do?
Would it reverse the controls in some way?

The normal way we handle driver-specific needs is to use driver-specific
parameters. A driver-specific parameter is passed to the driver via the -B
(uppercase) command line option or via the braille-parameters directive within
the brltty.conf file. The syntax of the operand is:

   xx:name=value

The xx, here, is the two-letter driver code. I forget what your two-letter
driver code is, so let's assume it's th (your initials). Then, for example,
specifying the parameter would look something like this:

   -Bth:handedness=left

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html