[BRLTTY] Getting my braille driver for the FCHAD working.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Oct 18 15:20:05 EDT 2012

Restarting brltty is never nice to do from a user persepctive, so my earlier
suggestion to use a driver-specific parameter may be a bad idea.

Can the device detect which hand the user is using? For xample, is there a
natural place where he might rest his thumb, and, if so, could a sensor be
placed there?

If you go the route of having the device detect which hand the user is using,
or even if you go the route of a switch, there's probably no need for the
driver to know as the device just needs to send the correct sensor number.

Some devices support being rotated 180 degrees. Those devices offer this
capability within their internal menus, and just send reversed data to the
driver when in that mode.

If your preference is for all of the logic to be within the driver, which would
indeed simplify the firmware, we could add a brltty command which could be
bound to keys on the device so that the user could still, from the device,
request the chagne.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html