[BRLTTY] Requesting a new, Python 3 release

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Wed Mar 20 19:36:57 EDT 2013

Dave Mielke, le Thu 03 Jan 2013 19:35:03 -0500, a écrit :
> [quoted lines by Joanmarie Diggs on 2013/01/03 at 17:42 -0500]
> >To be honest, I'm doing nothing special manually -- that I am aware of
> >anyway. My development environment (jhbuild) defaults to Python 3. If
> >need be I can set up a fresh environment. Perhaps I did something for
> >brltty that I no longer recall.
>
> I thought that Cython defaulted to 2, and that -3 had to be specified for 3.
> Perhaps my memory is incorrect.

While testing on Debian, it does default to 2. Distributions can however
use

PYTHON="/usr/bin/python3" CYTHON="/usr/bin/cython -3" ./configure

to build the version they want.  That's a common thing to do for
distributions anyway.

There is however a small bug in the python API: writeText() does not
accept strings any more with version 3.  I'm on a fix.

Samuel