[BRLTTY] BRLTTY with keytable enabled sometimes locks keys

Sebastian Humenda shumenda at gmx.de
Tue Jul 22 15:13:29 EDT 2014

Hello Dave,

Dave Mielke schrieb am 14.07.2014, 16:46 -0400:
>[quoted lines by Sebastian Humenda on 2014/07/13 at 12:20 +0200]
>>Is there no difference between retrieving keyboard key presses from the kernel
>>and receiving device key presses?
>
>There is, of course, a difference in the way the key events are received, but
>they then go through the common key table code.
>
>>Maybe it's a bug elsewhere?
>
>Yes, I'm considering this possibility.
>
>>The only thing I can confirm for sure is that it worked until key-tables were
>>introduced; before that I worked with speech and braille keys to navigate and
>>this problem didn't occur.
>
>Could you please try the latest code? i've made a further change to remove
>delays that speech drivers could introduce. This should improve interactive
>responsiveness, which should improve the reliability of key event handling.
I have compiled the latest code and run it. Since I was not able to make any
adjustments in the preferences menu, I switched back to the old version. Then I
decided again to give it a try and as soon as the new BRLTTY was started, the
error occured and I had a locked caps lock key.

What is the correct key to press in order to open a menu item in the preferences
menu? In 5.1, I always used the Routing Keys. Which key is mapped for this? Is
there documentation about the key bindings except for reading the key tables
themselves? Would it be an idea to write a script (if not already done), which
parses those files and generates an overview with the key combination, the
function name and a description? I imagine that the function names like LNDN
etc. are documented somewhere and such a script wouldn't be hard to write. If
this is indeed not implemented yet, I would implement even such a script.

>>Would it be enough to turn auto-speak off or should I disable the eSpeak driver
>>in general?
>
>First, try the latest code with speech. To answer your question, though, the
>bdest way would be to specify -sno - so no speech driver at all.
To be honest, I only switch BRLTTY due to missing profile support which is in
turn only needed for language switching. If I turn off speech, there's no
reason. But I will have a look at automated restarts of BRLTTY with no speech.

Thanks
Sebastian
--
Web: http://www.crustulus.de | Blog: http://www.crustulus.de/cgi-bin/blog.cgi?de-0