[BRLTTY] BRLTTY with keytable enabled sometimes locks keys

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Jul 23 15:35:13 EDT 2014

[quoted lines by Sebastian Humenda on 2014/07/22 at 21:13 +0200]

>>>The only thing I can confirm for sure is that it worked until key-tables were
>>>introduced; before that I worked with speech and braille keys to navigate and
>>>this problem didn't occur.

Do you mean that the problem began, way back in 4.0 , when keyboard tables were
initially introduced? That was during May of 2009. Or, perhaps, do you mean
that the problem began when the driver for your braille device was converted to
use key tables? Do you remember in which brltty release you first experienced
the problem?

>I have compiled the latest code and run it. Since I was not able to make any
>adjustments in the preferences menu, I switched back to the old version.

What was preventing you from making changes in the preferences menu?

>Then I decided again to give it a try and as soon as the new BRLTTY was
>started, the error occured and I had a locked caps lock key.

This was with the very latest pre-5.2 code?

>What is the correct key to press in order to open a menu item in the preferences
>menu? In 5.1, I always used the Routing Keys. Which key is mapped for this?

This hasn't changed. Any routing key will open a submenu. I specifically tested
this just now, and it's working.

>Is there documentation about the key bindings except for reading the key
>tables themselves? Would it be an idea to write a script (if not already
>done), which parses those files and generates an overview with the key
>combination, the function name and a description? I imagine that the function
>names like LNDN etc. are documented somewhere and such a script wouldn't be
>hard to write.

The bindings for all of the drivers are on brltty's web site. Go to brltty.com,
then click on Documentation, and then click on Key Tables.

>To be honest, I only switch BRLTTY due to missing profile support which is in
>turn only needed for language switching. If I turn off speech, there's no
>reason. But I will have a look at automated restarts of BRLTTY with no speech.

If you're using the latest development code then speech should no longer be
interfering with brltty key event processing.