[BRLTTY] BRLTTY with keytable enabled sometimes locks keys

Sebastian Humenda shumenda at gmx.de
Thu Jul 24 15:10:30 EDT 2014

Hello Dave,

Dave Mielke schrieb am 23.07.2014, 15:35 -0400:
>[quoted lines by Sebastian Humenda on 2014/07/22 at 21:13 +0200]
>
>Do you mean that the problem began, way back in 4.0 , when keyboard tables were
>initially introduced? That was during May of 2009. Or, perhaps, do you mean
>that the problem began when the driver for your braille device was converted to
>use key tables? Do you remember in which brltty release you first experienced
>the problem?
I cannot say this for sure, because I have forgotten when I used which version
of BRLTTY, and I've said 4.5 because I can confirm it for this release with
absolute certainty (on my currently running Debian stable). On the other hand, I
believe to remember that it happened already with 4.0, and for sure with 4.2.
Before key tables were introduced, I used speech a lot too, but navigated with
the braille navigation keys. With those I had no such problems.

>>I have compiled the latest code and run it. Since I was not able to make any
>>adjustments in the preferences menu, I switched back to the old version.
>
>What was preventing you from making changes in the preferences menu?
The routing keys work on the command line, but they don't work in the menu. If I
try to etend a submenu, I either get no confirmation sound or hear the sound
which also occurs when I try to click on areas where it isn't possible to move
to.

>>Then I decided again to give it a try and as soon as the new BRLTTY was
>>started, the error occured and I had a locked caps lock key.
>
>This was with the very latest pre-5.2 code?
The build is from the 22th of July, 15:40.

>>What is the correct key to press in order to open a menu item in the preferences
>>menu? In 5.1, I always used the Routing Keys. Which key is mapped for this?
>
>This hasn't changed. Any routing key will open a submenu. I specifically tested
>this just now, and it's working.
This is indeed odd. I suspected that my device (which is rather old) might have
a hadware failure, but after leaving the menu, the routing keys worked fine on
the shell.

>>Is there documentation about the key bindings except for reading the key
>>tables themselves? Would it be an idea to write a script (if not already
>>done), which parses those files and generates an overview with the key
>>combination, the function name and a description? I imagine that the function
>>names like LNDN etc. are documented somewhere and such a script wouldn't be
>>hard to write.
>
>The bindings for all of the drivers are on brltty's web site. Go to brltty.com,
>then click on Documentation, and then click on Key Tables.
This is great, thanks! I might have overlooked it when key tables were
introduced or it is newer :). It exactly looks like I would have imagined it.

Thanks
Sebastian
--
Web: http://www.crustulus.de | Blog: http://www.crustulus.de/cgi-bin/blog.cgi?de-0