[BRLTTY] Use BRLTTY under Windows 7 with Virtual Braille device

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Nov 24 11:46:45 EST 2014

[quoted lines by D&J Renaldo on 2014/11/24 at 08:24 +0100]

>As I want to test a potential interface I tried to select "Virtual - vr" as
>Braille device with "COM1" port.

That won't do what you might be expecting. Do you have an actual braille
device? If so, then you need to select the driver for it. If not, then you
should probably select the xw driver, which will open a window with a virtual
graphical braille display in it.

>The BrlAPI service is running but nothing is visible on my screen.

Using the xw driver should do what I think you're wanting to do.

>Is there any checklist to know all the parameters I need to make it working
>?

No, because the defaults usually do the right thing. In your case - not having
an actual braille device - try using the xw driver.

>How the "brltty.conf" file is taken into account by Brl API ?

The BrlAPI server (within brltty) uses it, but the BrlAPI client library does
not.