[BRLTTY] Slow reaction after pressing a bdisplay key

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sun Sep 14 08:58:07 EDT 2014

Lars Bjørndal <lars at lamasti.net> writes:

> On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 04:36:09AM +0200, Mario Lang wrote:
>> Lars Bjørndal <lars at lamasti.net> writes:

>> > Currently, I'm using BRLTTY 5.2dev rev BRLTTY-5.1-284-g08c6e86aM.
>>
> [...]
>
>> Lars: I used to see occassionally ignored navigation key presses.  In
>> other words, I would press a triple-action key, but the braille on my
>> display would not change.  Pressing it again usually cleared up the
>> problem.
>
> Yes, that happens to me as well, some times. Also, after beeing in config
> mode with the display, the navigation keys doesn't work as expected,
> and a reboot of BRLTTY is required.

By Config mode, you refer to the firmware-flashing mode of the
Evolution?  I can very well imagining that giving you problems.  We don't
really have specifications for that mode.  Whenever I am accidentally in
that mode (happens every two years or so), I just try to get out of it
ASAP, not really expecting from BRLTTY to cope with it.
Do you actually *use* Config mode on a daily basis.

> BTW my display does never go into sleep mode (energy saving
> mode). That is certainly another bet.

Hmm, interesting.  I believe my display goes into sleep mode from time
to time.  This has never given me problems, actually, the sleep mode of
the evolution is probably the most magic thing I've ever seen in braille
technology.  I guess you know what I mean?  If ATC is enabled, which
usually is the case in BRLTTY (although we dont do anything useful with
it these days), touching the sleeping display will actually wake it up.
Yes, that is right, you do not have to hit a key, sometimes, it is
enough to touch the semi-erect dots.

>> I am now running with the absolutely latest code, and have not seen any
>> problem sofar.
>
> I also run the latest code now. It reports: BRLTTY 5.2dev rev BRLTTY-5.1-673-g3f52a279M

Good, that includes the latest ACK handling fixes.
I believe we have found the issue by now, so far, my display has not
given me any issues since I am running with that version.  Although, the
problem appears to happen very rarely, so I might still be in for a
surprise.  Please let me know immediately if you see any problems with
that latest version.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'