[BRLTTY] screen patched

Cheryl Homiak cah4110 at icloud.com
Mon Sep 15 16:35:14 EDT 2014

On Sep 15, 2014, at 12:01 PM, Raoul <rmgls at free.fr> wrote:
> here is, if you need it, a patched binary of screen-4.0.3.
> the command:
> tar zxvf screen403Patched.tgz will uncompress the archive.
> follow the README file to install,
> or copy files to their location.

I have a few questions and concerns.

First of all, when you save this attachment, do not run the tar command before you look at the README. This tar command doesn't just uncompress these files into a directory but attempts to install them. I followed the command in the email because it seemed to indicate this would just uncompress but instead I ended up with these files with their paths in my home directory and had to erase them. That might have been my own fault but this is how I read the instructions in the email before I even got to the README; in fact, the README wasn't available yet because it was in the zipped file.

Second, I'm a little concerned as to why we have to change or replace already-existing files in /usr/lib. I admit I don't know anything about this, but is it necessary? I hesitate to change things on my Mac system unless I know what I am doing and why I am doing it. Obviously, there must be a reason but could you please give a simple explanation so I will know if I really want to do this. Are the ncurses file and libSystem file specific to screen - I don't think they are - and are we replacing them with some other version? I haven't installed and tried this with brltty because I want to understanding why I am doing this first. I'll install and try it once I understand this as I can always go back to my already-installed and working screen-4.0.1.

Finally, the REaDME has the command

ln -s /opt/local/bin/screen-4.0.3 /opt/local/bin

But I was thinking I wouldn't want to try to do a symlink with /opt/local/bin. Wouldn't I do

ln -s /opt/local/bin/screen-4.0.3 /opt/local/bin/screen

It also may be necessary to make sure there isn't already an /opt/local/bin/screen because if there already is one yu will be told that screen already exists.

Even if we have a binary, we still need the patch by itself or so it seems to me. People set up their systems differently. For instance, I have screen in /usr/bin. So some will want to compile and patch rather than having this decided.

--
Cheryl

I tried and tried to turn over a new leaf.
I got crumpled wads of tear-stained paper
thrown in the trash!
Then God gave me a new heart and life:
His joy for my despairing tears!
And now, every day: