[BRLTTY] brltty new user

covici at ccs.covici.com covici at ccs.covici.com
Sun Jul 3 10:43:36 EDT 2016

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> wrote:

> [quoted lines by covici at ccs.covici.com on 2016/07/03 at 00:45 -0400]
>
> >Screen and yasr do not have access to the kernnel.
>
> But they do have access to what's being written to the screen via the
> pseudo-tty that they create for each session.
>
> >I think for speech, this feature would be useful as you don't know if there is
> >anything to read once you have typed a command unless you have looked back and
> >sometimes you don't.
>
> But that's the very same in braille. You also don't know if the command had
> output unless you look back.
>
> >I use speakup however and this is one of its nice features, if I type a
> >command I just let it go and hit control or enter on the numpad to shut it up,
> >and of course I use less a lot.
>
> But, since it's the very same in braille - and braille users also use less alot
> - I'm not understnading why a speech user would work so fundamentally
> differently from a braille user with respect to this particular issue.
>
> >With Braille its not that useful and what you are doing is correct.
>
> Exactly, so why is it so useful with speech?

Speech is a different medium, its easier to hear the output and stop it
if necessary, in Braille you can't really do that, so the flow is better
if the speech is not too much -- it may be hard to explain, but suppose
you are chatting with someone its easy to just hear  all the output and
respond.  Same thing with linux commands which do nothing if there is no
error and generate a message if there is an error, with speech you just
hear the whole thing, with Braille you have to go back and check, which
is OK, but as long as you have speech, you may as well let all the
output come through, just easier that way -- of course you should be
able to turn this off, if you know something long is coming or if its
already started.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici