[BRLTTY] Introducing myself, and a question regarding BRLTTY for Windows

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Jul 12 09:24:05 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by Felix Grützmacher - Handy Tech Elektronik GmbH on 2016/07/12 at 14:55 +0200]

>as long as Active Braille has been around, we never purposefully changed
>anything significant in how to communicate with it.

I'm sure that's true.

>But just so we can double-check, could you please provide me with one obvious
>difference between 2 and 3 so I can check which one we use?

2 strictly uses USB control operations for both input and output wehreas 3 does
input via endpoint 81 and output via endpoint 01.

We currently use 2, as mentioned earlier, for the HID versions of the Easy
Braille and the Braille Star 40. We also use it for something (I'm not sure
what, exactly it is) that we call a USB-HID adapter.

We use 3 for the Active Braille, the Basic Braille, the Active Star, and the
Connect Braille.

Is it possible that the difference really should be based on firmware version
rather than one device type? In other words, is it possible that older
HID-based firmware does it one way and that newer HID-based firmware does it
the other way?