[BRLTTY] Trouble installing the latest version

Amanda Lacy lacy925 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 15:19:51 EDT 2016

Someone informed me that I needed a later version, so I'm trying to
install it. But first, why does apt-get install brltty-5.2? Why not
the latest
version as anyone would expect?

I downloaded, unpacked and configured brltty-5.4.tar.gz. Sudo make
install produced these errors:
strip:/bin/brltty-ktb: File format not recognized
/usr/bin/install: strip process terminated abnormally
makefile:961: recipe for target 'install-program' failed

I'm installing on Raspberry Pi. Can someone give suggestions? Thanks.