[BRLTTY] Trouble installing the latest version

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sun Jul 17 15:33:28 EDT 2016

Amanda Lacy <lacy925 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Someone informed me that I needed a later version, so I'm trying to
> install it. But first, why does apt-get install brltty-5.2? Why not
> the latest
> version as anyone would expect?

You might be using a stable repository which, for this reason, does not
include the latest version of BRLTTY or of other software. "Stable" really
means "major bug fixes and security-related fixes only - no updates" in most
cases.

What operating system are you using? In Debian, for example, you can edit
/etc/apt/sources.list and enable the "unstable" repository, then run apt-get
update && apt-get install brltty to fetch a more recent release.