[BRLTTY] BRLTTY on NetBSD-5.2 with USB and HIMS Smart Beetle

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Jul 21 21:14:46 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by Brian Buhrow on 2016/07/21 at 17:29 -0700]

>1.  I can get into the help screen for Brltty with chord-h, but I'd like to
>read the contents of the help pages contained there-in either off-line or
>on another computer.  I've combed through the source, but I haven't found
>the text contained in the help screens.  Might someone be able to point me
>at that text?  perhaps there's a way to generate it from a command, since
>the help screens appear to contain a compilation of the .kti and .ktb files
>in the /usr/local/etc/brltty/Input directories.

The help text is constructed from a number of sources, including the tables
within Tables/Input/, the tables within Programs/ktb_cmds.c, etc.

Brltty calls internal code to construct the help screen, but there's also a
command (brltty-ktb) for reading the key tables. Also, you can read them on the
web, so there's no actual need to generate them for yourself:

   Goto to: brltty.com
   Click on: Documentation
   Click on: Key Binding Lists

>2.  This is probably a newby question, does Brltty support dynamic
>translation to UEB or Grade 2  braille when displaying the contents of a
>screen?  The iOS devices seem to do this, and, on a 14 cell display, it's a
>rather nice feature.

Yes. You need to specify the contraction table that you'd like to use, and
then, to active it, switch Text Style to 6-dots.