[BRLTTY] Terminal Type for Braille Edge connected via BRLTTY

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Sep 2 03:53:06 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by Kevin Fjelsted on 2016/09/02 at 00:07 -0500]

>We are using a Raspberry PI with BRLTTY installed connected to a HIMS Braille
>Edge.

Does the Braille Edge have a braille or a qwerty keyboard?

>If we use an editor such as Nano the up and down arrows work fine on the
>display moving through the lines. The cursor routing buttons also permit
>moving the cursor horizontally in either direction on a line so that full
>editing is functional.

Do you mean the up and down arrows on the Braille Edge's keyboard?

What about the left and right arrows on its keyboard?

>However we are working with another program which presents one line to the
>display and when we move up or down via the arrows on the keyboard it presents
>a new line.

I think I'm not understanding. When you use the up and down arrows, wouldn't
you expect to be moving to new lines?

Is the program you're referring to using BrlAPI? If so, perhaps the problem is
in how it (your program) is interpreting the Braille Edge's arrow keys.

>In this case the up and won arrow on the Edge, do not behave the same way as
>the arrows on the keyboard.

How are they different?

Are you saying that the job of the keyboard arrows, when running this program,
is to change which single line is being presented to the braille display?

Is the problem, then, that the Braille Edge's up and down arrows aren't
performing this same line changing, but, rather, are still moving up and down
the screen?

>What terminal type does the Braille Edge appear to the system as?

Standard arrow key escape sequences are being presented to the system. On Linux
it's even more accurate because standard keyboard key codes for them are being
injected.

Have you remapped your keyboard's key layout in any way?

Does the program send an escape sequence on startup to switch the keyboard to
alternate keypad mode, and then watch for the alternate escape sequences?