[BRLTTY] Android BRLTTY crashes + few other issues

Robert Pösel robyer at seznam.cz
Wed Feb 28 07:13:04 EST 2018

Hi,

I'm using BRLTTY 5.6 (APK from your website) on Android 7.0 (Samsung
Galaxy S8) and I've experienced few issues:

1) BRLTTY service is crashing after few minutes, when there is no
connected braille device. It is easily reproducible for me:
Install BRLTTY  5.6, enable the BRLTTY service in accessibility settings
and then just wait about 7 minutes. Then Android will show dialog that
BRLTTY service has stopped. (Then Android restarts the service and after
few minutes BRLTTY crashes again and it repeats)

Here is the crash log: https://pastebin.com/gxaUCrkt

(I can provide complete log since brltty start until the crash and
automatic restart of the service, if needed, but this should be the
important part)

It looks like BRLTTY is adding/holding Bluetooth device's address/name
to some array until it overflows max number of items it can hold. And
since I have only few paired Bluetooth devices, it looks like BRLTTY
adds them duplicated again and again (as it can be seen in the log,
where there is "Samsung Bluetoot..." and "08:8C:2C:76:F2:4..." mentioned
twice in the last 10 items printed).

Note that in log I saw also repeated lines like these:

a) "D/org.a11y.brltty.android.UsbHelper(14245): permission already
granted for USB device:" - https://pastebin.com/WA1Jn8f3
  - I see this after clean install without adding braille device

b) "E/org.a11y.brltty.android.BluetoothConnection(13290): Bluetooth
connect failed" - https://pastebin.com/h7BR0q18
  - I see this after I added braille device which is now offline

2) After enabling the BRLTTY or going to it's settings Android shows
error dialog with message:
"Detected problems with app native libraries"

There is log: https://pastebin.com/Tbc3s4Ts

3) I'm sesing some weird errors in the log, after starting the BRLTTY.
See: https://pastebin.com/wiK2Q637
Are these some errors that should be fixed or is it expected behavior?
I'm talking mainly about the "invalid escape sequence" and related
errors, and the "cannot open file:
/data/user/0/org.a11y.brltty.android/app_state/default.conf: No such
file or directory" error.

4) I'm experiencing randomly request to pair the braille device (over
bluetooth) again. I'm not sure if it is connected to the crash above or
is it problem of Samsung's hardware/software (it is happening on
different Galaxy S8 phones). In what circumstances might be needed to
confirm pairing of the braile device (via bluetooth) again? Is the
(un)pairing something that is handled in the BRLTTY or is it issue in
the Android itself?

5) Last question, I wanted to compile BRLTTY on Windows, but I had hard
time to make it work. Especially because of the autogen, makefile, and
other linux tools needed. Do you plan to provide classic Android Studio
project so it could be compiled easily on both platforms?
Btw why do you target Android SDK 21 and use tool chain 21.0.2, and not
some newer version?

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
Robert Pösel