[BRLTTY] Android BRLTTY crashes + few other issues

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Feb 28 16:46:06 EST 2018

[quoted lines by Robert Pösel on 2018/02/28 at 13:13 +0100]

>1) BRLTTY service is crashing after few minutes, when there is no
>connected braille device.

Thanks for the log. Please try the latest apk to see if the problem has been
fixed.

>Note that in log I saw also repeated lines like these:
>
>a) "D/org.a11y.brltty.android.UsbHelper(14245): permission already
>granted for USB device:" - https://pastebin.com/WA1Jn8f3
> - I see this after clean install without adding braille device

That's because brltty knows the USB identifiers for braille devices. Thanks for
pointing it out, though, as all this log does is create noise. I'll remove it.

>b) "E/org.a11y.brltty.android.BluetoothConnection(13290): Bluetooth
>connect failed" - https://pastebin.com/h7BR0q18
> - I see this after I added braille device which is now offline

That's because it's seeing the device but unable to connect to it. In theory,
this log, too, should be remvoed except for one thing. A connection can fail
for many reasons, and all but this case (device is off, out of range, etc)
should be logged.

>2) After enabling the BRLTTY or going to it's settings Android shows
>error dialog with message:
>"Detected problems with app native libraries"

Which type of braille device do you have? On Android, for a technical reason
that hasn't been dealt with yet, the drivers can't be dynamically loaded, and,
therefore, need to be built into the executable. Perhaps that's not yet being
done for the driver you need.

>3) I'm sesing some weird errors in the log, after starting the
>BRLTTY. See: https://pastebin.com/wiK2Q637
>Are these some errors that should be fixed or is it expected
>behavior? I'm talking mainly about the "invalid escape sequence" and
>related errors,

The "invalid escape sequence" logs are errors. Thanks for drawing them to my
attention. They're reporting a condition that won't affect you, but still
should be fixed.

>and the "cannot open file:
>/data/user/0/org.a11y.brltty.android/app_state/default.conf: No such
>file or directory" error.

This one is just a warning, and is okay.

Are there any other interesting logs that you can spot?

>4) I'm experiencing randomly request to pair the braille device (over
>bluetooth) again. I'm not sure if it is connected to the crash above
>or is it problem of Samsung's hardware/software (it is happening on
>different Galaxy S8 phones). In what circumstances might be needed to
>confirm pairing of the braile device (via bluetooth) again? Is the
>(un)pairing something that is handled in the BRLTTY or is it issue in
>the Android itself?

Bluetooth pairing is strictly handled by Android and has nothing to do with
brltty.

>5) Last question, I wanted to compile BRLTTY on Windows, but I had
>hard time to make it work. Especially because of the autogen,
>makefile, and other linux tools needed.

There's a mkwin script within the Windows/ subdirectory that makes it a lot
easier. There are also instructions within Documents/README.Windows.

>Do you plan to provide classic Android Studio project so it could be compiled
>easily on both platforms?

This is one of those "maybe, some time" issues.

>why do you target Android SDK 21 and use tool chain 21.0.2, and not some newer
>version?

So brltty will run on older releases of Android. Newer releases build with Java
8, and older ones don't support Java 8.

Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | WebHome: http://Mielke.cc/
EMail: Dave at Mielke.cc | Ottawa, Ontario   | Twitter: @Dave_Mielke
Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |