[BRLTTY] Fwd: [leadership] Seeking home for Braille Window Braille display

Brian Tew montanalag at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 22:47:25 EDT 2018

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rachel <rachel720 at MINDSPRING.COM>
Date: June 18, 2018 at 4:07:09 PM CDT
To: PBD-L at LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG
Subject: Fwd: [leadership] Seeking home for Braille Window Braille display

Greetings, everyone.

My office will be relocated this summer and my supervisor wants
me to send
a nearly 20-year-old Braille display to surplus, which means it
will be
most likely discarded.  It is an 80-cell Braille Window from
HumanWare,
which worked well for me with JAWS from 1999 until 2013 when I
was given a
64-bit computer.  I offered it to our disability support office,
but we
have no other Braille users on campus.

This machine has three major drawbacks:
It works only with 32-bit computers.
It connects through serial/parallel ports rather than USB or
bluetooth.
It is huge, compared to the newer slimmer displays.

Should I discard this as an anachronism, or do any of you have
ideas where
it might be useful?
It's so hard to think of throwing away a machine that still
reports:
braille display on"
when I turn on the power.
I still have the Braille user guide, although I think there was
also a CD
that I don't have readily available.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Beverly Wieland