[BRLTTY] closing individual apps from the recent apps screen in recent Android versions

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Mon Dec 23 10:57:00 EST 2019

[quoted lines by henk.abma at gmail.com on 2019/12/20 at 23:17 +0100]

>Currently I am using Android 9 with BrlTTY. The recent apps screen has
>changed somewhat in recent Android versions. Earlier there were a few
>buttons for each app, that allowed you to view the app info or close it.
>
>However these functions are now connected to the app as Actions.
>So in order to close an app, you would find it in the recent apps list, open
>the actions menu and press close from there.
>However I don't think brltty supports these actions, or does it?

If you're referring to the Actions item within the Local Context menu, no,
that's specific to TalkBack. Something like it could be added to brltty,
though. I think, however, that there's still a way for you to do it.

If you're on the name of an app within the Overview (formerly Recent Apps)
screen, you can hold (long click) it. With brltty, you can do this via the
third routing key. This brings up a list of the app's shortcuts, one of which
is always App Info. From an app's App Info screen you can stop it, uninstall
it, etc.

Note that the Local Context menu really is just within TalkBack, i.e. sighted
users don't get it. They'd also need to hold the app's name in order to bring
up its shortcuts list. There's only one special gesture that can be done on the
screen to an app's name within the Overview screen - swiping it. If the list is
vertically oriented then swiping an app's name left or right stops it.
Likewise, if the list is horizontally oriented then swiping an app's name up
stops it. The idea is that you push an app off the screen to stop it.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |